Mark 16:15

And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation." -Mark 16:15

11.03.2016

13 Things

I have been here for thirteen full days, and in my short time here, I have learned so much about the Guatemalan culture and way of life. I thought I would share with you thirteen things I have learned thus far...

1. It is completely normal for small children to sell alcohol on the streets.
While I was at the Sumpango Kite Festival, kids were yelling "Corona! Corona! Es frio!" These are types of things you don't see in the states...

2. Big guns are normal too.
Banks have money, therefore, they guard them with armed men. Sometimes, it makes me a bit apprehensive, but they do not use their rights in a bad way. I am all about supporting gun rights, and I am happy to see that there are barely ever abuses of these rights. It is more of an intimidation factor, and for some reason, it seems to work.
Cemetery in Sumpango on Day of the Dead
3. Cemeteries are a place to celebrate, not to mourn.
Day of the Dead, on November 1, is a widely-celebrated holiday in Guatemala, and in other Spanish-speaking countries. There are many old beliefs connected to the day; however, the holiday had moved away from the beliefs and more to a tradition. They celebrate the lives of their loved ones in such a beautiful way.

4. As a "gringo" in Guatemala, I have learned to expect stares. All the time.
It is not the most comfortable situation to always be the different one. I look a little out of place here, especially because I don't spend my time in the touristic area. It is odd to feel watched, but now I can put myself in the shoes of many Guatemalans in America.

5. Fireworks are fun at all times of day and night, mainly because we apparently love noise.
For real, Guatemalans seem to love noise. Fireworks go off randomly, including at 4 a.m. My favorite type of alarm clock...

6. You don't have to be good at singing to praise God with your musical talents (or lack thereof).
There are a few churches near my house, and I can assure you, they try to make it sound good, but there just isn't a whole lot of talent. Luckily, God doesn't care if you're good at singing or not. I love hearing these people crying out to God with no cares in the world of who hears them.

7. Roosters do not crow at the crack of dawn like all the stories claim.
In every perfect fairytale, the rooster crows to wake you up. Not here. They like to crow when you're trying to go to sleep. Or in the middle of the night. Or pretty much anytime you don't want to hear them.

8. Rules are only suggestions, especially on the road.
I am sure there are laws in Guatemala, but I honestly doubt that many are enforced. Stop signs are merely a suggestion that no one cares about, and lanes: what are those? We just like to weave around whoever we want on the road here.

9. Sunburn can happen in November.
I forgot about sunburn. I always get sunburnt. However, not usually in November. Surprise, surprise! Zara is now a tomato after a long day at the kite festival.

10. Cold showers remind you of how blessed you are.
Seriously. The first week here, I did not have warm water. Even their warm water isn't very warm. Hot water is such a blessing.

11. American politics could be worse.
Guatemalans love to ask me about my political views and who I voted for, because they know it is quite the show this year. However, they shouldn't be talking. They have a comedian for a president.

12. Sometimes you just have to be adventurous.
Most things I do here are out of my comfort. Even just going for a walk to get food on Sunday night can be scary, but God is with me through this adventure. Also, I tried some street food (which I am not supposed to eat because of the risk of getting sick), and it was worth the adventure. The food was fantastic, and I didn't get sick! I'll call it an accomplishment.

13. When you struggle to speak the same language, complete simple tasks, and lack the feeling of home and safety, you trust God for everything.
You don't rely on yourself, and then turn to God. God becomes your #1 stronghold, just like He should be. God is with me on this crazy journey, and I am so glad He called me to this beautiful place (even with all the crazy things listed above). An adventure it is.

2 comments:

  1. Wow thats amazing! Im so glad you have had this chance to experience such a journey like that. .. In paragraph 12, you talked about getting sick if you eat street food. What do you mean by that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally only eat food made by my host mom or in a restaurant. These people clean their food, so outsiders like me won't get sick. The street food is comparable to food stands or food trucks. These people don't clean their food, so it may have bacteria on in it that Americans have not been acquainted with, making many of us sick. It was fun to try it :) thanks for reading!

      Delete