Mark 16:15

And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation." -Mark 16:15

11.18.2016

Being the Outsider

I have been contemplating how to write about this tough issue our world faces. It's not easy to tackle this issue, as it is dear to many hearts. I am not trying to offend or start any arguments, just simply trying to share my experiences and thoughts in lieu of living in Guatemala, but also in lieu of this election.

This election has brought a lot of fear to both Americans and foreigners. And honestly, it's impossible to tackle the big issues of immigration, racism, and diversity in one small post. I just want to share my heart.

After Donald Trump won the election, I heard and saw many people scared for what will happen. People from Mexico, people from America grieving for people of Hispanic backgrounds, and of course, people from Guatemala. And this reminded me of all of our differences.

God created each one of us unique, and for some reason, it is our sinful nature to not accept this. We automatically look at others and see the differences, rather than the similarities. Growing up in predominantly white, conservative, northwest Iowa community, I never had to be an outsider. At least not by the way I looked. I never had to be looked at differently, called names, or deal with the fears of my outside differences. I never knew what this was like.

But then I came here, to Guatemala, and now I am the outsider. As I walk down the street, the people often stare at me. Guys whistle at me, or whistle at their friends about me. They nag me on the streets and try to talk to me, because they think of me as an object rather than a person. This is obviously very different from the way we treat differences in America. I agree, there is a race problem in America. There is a race problem even in small-town Iowa, and we need to acknowledge it. But it's not only in America. When you're a different ethnicity, whether it be of Hispanic, African, or Asian descent, in America, you may be treated differently. But if you're white in another country, you will be treated differently too. I never thought of this being a problem in other countries; I always thought of it being an "America" problem.

I am definitely not here to solve the world's problems (even though sometimes I wish I could). Spotting the differences in each other is our human nature. There is only one thing that can change this and solve this. It is not the president or the laws. There is no special formula. We need unity, but there is only one place we can find this. In Christ. Ephesians 2:13-22 says,

13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility 15 by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, 16 and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility. 17 And he came and preached peace to you who were far off and peace to those who were near. 18 For through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father. 19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, 21 in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. 22 In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit.

Only through Christ can we be united. As we speak of diversity, let’s turn to Christ. We can have no similarities to others, but when it comes to Christ, we can unite and share everything together. In fact, God is the same sovereign God no matter where you are or what you are going through. My life has been turned upside down, but luckily God has stayed the same in everywhere I go, whether it be small town Iowa or Guatemala.

In Ephesians, there is a lot about unity. But there is also a lot about grace. I believe these two concepts go hand in hand. We were only saved because of God’s grace. We all have the sinful nature to pick out others’ differences, whether it be ethnicity, interests, or personalities. So when dealing with this issue, let’s have grace. It’s difficult when it’s happening you. It’s difficult when it’s happening to your child. It’s not easy. Honestly, most often I want to scream at the Guatemalan men that try to treat me like an object, as they whistle at me and try to charm me. I need grace upon grace upon grace, and so do they. Let’s treat each other with grace, and love one another’s differences. We can only unify under Christ. Seek Christ first, and the rest will follow. We no longer have to be strangers and aliens, but instead fellow citizens in the household of God.





2 comments: