Mark 16:15

And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation." -Mark 16:15

11.26.2016

Thankfulness, a Few Days Late

My Thanksgiving was treated as a normal day. I didn't get more food. I didn't get time with family. I didn't get the day-off. But in fact, that actually taught me something about the Thanksgiving holiday. As great as the food and time with family is, Thanksgiving is supposed to be about giving thanks. And that should be an everyday thing.

We dedicate one day to giving thanks for all we have. As I treated my Thanksgiving as a normal day, I was reminded that I should always be giving thanks. The popular verse, 1 Thessalonians 5:18, says, "give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." As much as I missed my Thanksgiving, I'm even more grateful for the experience to not "celebrate" it.

So as I adventure through Guatemala, here are some things that I am thankful for every day:

Adventure- Guatemala is a totally different country than the United States, so that makes everything an adventure. I am so thankful for the chance to learn about new cultures, meet new people, and see the world. I love my opportunities to travel, learn, and see God's amazing creation.

One of my adventures: making Guatemalan food (with lots of help!)

Caring Families- My parents and family have been so encouraging throughout this whole experience. They were supportive from Day 1 and always challenge me to be my best self. Not only do I have a great family, but I have two. My Guatemalan family has been so caring and always looks out for me. I am thankful for their forgiveness with my terrible Spanish. I am thankful for all their love and joy, even though they have only known me for a month. Family is so important, and I am so glad I get to experience that wherever I am.

Supportive Friends- I am thankful for friends who are willing to talk when I just need an English conversation, both here and back home. I am thankful for people here in Guatemala who make sure I am doing alright and look out for me. I am thankful for a supportive church both here and afar. For friends back home, I am thankful for all the prayers, support, encouragement, and English conversations.

Trials- Although I am loving my time here in Guatemala, it is not always easy. I miss family and friends. It is difficult, but I am thankful for the difficulties. They have made me stronger, taught me more about our loving God, and taught me about myself. My trust in God is always strengthened when life isn't easy. Life in Guatemala can be scary, but it only increases my faith.

An Amazing God- Throughout all my life, only one thing is steady. Hebrews 13:8 says, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." So when everything changes, God still stays the same. I am so thankful for His saving grace and His everlasting love.

Not celebrating Thanksgiving was not necessarily my choice. But being thankful everyday can be. John 5:30 says, "By myself I can do nothing..." I cannot do anything on my own power, and that is why I am reminded to praise and thank our Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that Zara!! Without God nothing is possible! We are praying for you as you spend time Guatemala. Praying God will strengthen you and help you and draw you closer to Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Zara. It is interesting how much more we learn in the "difficult" times. You are a blessing for all of us in Guatemala and the states!

    ReplyDelete