Mark 16:15

And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation." -Mark 16:15

3.29.2017

Finding Joy in the Regular

I'm always wanting to do something big. I want to feel as if I'm always making a difference. But sometimes we're just stuck in the regular in's and out's of life. Right now, my life is pretty regular. I have a great job and love what I'm doing. Don't get me wrong, my job is different on a daily basis and always interesting. However, I'm in a pattern right now. I go to work, go home, sleep, and go back to work. It doesn't necessarily feel like I'm doing anything earth-shattering, and even though I always feel that is as life should be, God doesn't want every moment to be news-breaking or life-changing. Sometimes we just have to find joy in the regular.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." It doesn't say rejoice in the good times. It doesn't say find joy in the bad times. It says rejoice always. And this includes the regular times in life--when nothing is necessarily bad, but it isn't always the most exciting time in life.

For me, it is difficult to just sit and be content. I am always pushing to do more, experience more, and be more. I strive to learn new things, meet more people, and be a better person. Often, I think this needs to come in big ways like starting a new experience or going to a new place. However, I cannot do that always. I have probably said this before, but I'll say it again: We can't always have life-changing moments, otherwise they wouldn't be life-changing.

I can still do big things in the regular days. Doing my job to the best of my ability is still important. Being friendly and showing God's love to people that I see every day is still important. I tend to bypass and overlook these "small" things, but they still make a difference in life. God calls us to rejoice always, including in just the regular.



No comments:

Post a Comment